Friday, October 11, 2013

A thank you letter to AFI for an amazing show


Last night, AFI made me fall in love with music all over again.

Not that I was ever “out of love,” of course. I first discovered AFI when I was 15, and they’ve been one of my favorite bands ever since. And obviously, I devote plenty of my free time to listening to music and discussing it. But lately, I’ve become too old and lazy and boring at concerts. I’ve started missing the opening bands and recently, I skipped a show when I heard the headliner wouldn’t go on until 11 pm. Many times, I’ve caught myself feeling tired after a long day and wishing I could just go home instead of out to see a band. Part of me feels this is justifiable, as I’m no longer a college student who can sleep until noon. But deep down, I know 16-year-old me would be disgusted to know about this.

(For the record, I am always happy once I actually make it to the show. It’s just the effort of getting there and standing around waiting that seems to be the problem).

So, on to last night. I actually was extremely excited to see AFI again, as it has been many years and the guys are my musical gods. But wow, I did not know what I was in for. Davey Havok stepped onstage and I lost my mind like I was 15 and at my first concert again. (It was okay though, because all the hardcore dudes around me did the exact same thing). The music sounded incredible and Davey was strutting his stuff like the world’s most fabulous rock star. He even did a flip into the crowd. They blasted through a ton of my favorite songs, and I shouted along with all the lyrics that used to fill my AIM away messages. It’s probably a little odd to sing “I Hope You Suffer” while grinning giddily, but that’s what I did.

It’s not that I’m less passionate about music now than I was back in high school. It’s just that lately, I’ve been acting like a mature adult and focusing on my career, the future, etc. That’s all well and good, but I needed a jolt to help me out of my rut and to help me recapture those angsty teenage emotions again. Today, I feel like I’m carrying a little bit of last night’s show with me, and I feel lighter and bouncier because of it. So thank you to Davey, Jade, Adam and Hunter for being the best ever.  There’s nothing like a truly great concert to make me feel alive again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment