Friday, April 23, 2010

Alpha Rev, Lupo's, 4/20/10

I saw Third Eye Blind again this past Tuesday. You don’t want to know how many times I’ve seen them now (although apparently one of the girls at the show has seen them 100 times. I don’t know if that makes her awesome or just certifiably insane).

Anyway, I’m not going to write another update about 3EB because 1) I could talk about them all day and 2) I’ve written enough posts on the subject. I did want to mention the opening band though, because I was fairly impressed with their performance.

The opener was Alpha Rev, from Austin, TX. They play kind-of anthemic rock music, complete with violin and cello. I am really just a sucker for any rock band with string instruments involved. Think big choruses and beautiful melodies. To be honest, the music is not incredibly original, but it’s pretty and worth a listen.


This song, “New Morning,” is not my favorite, but it’s the best quality video on Youtube. Check out the Myspace to hear some other samples.

So even though I didn't know their music, I enjoyed Alpha Rev’s live performance. The violinist, Brian Batch, was fascinating to watch. He plays so passionately. In fact, by the end of just 3 songs, his bow was completely shredded. You could see all the strings hanging off. About three-fourths of the way through the set, he traded it in for a new bow. Watching a musician play that enthusiastically is just inspiring.

Anyway, their new CD is coming out next week, so check it out when you get the chance.

http://www.myspace.com/alpharev

2 comments:

  1. That's funny, I recently discovered "New Morning" on 8tracks.com. I'll have to check out more from these guys; I too am a sucker for strings in a rock band. This is why you would probably appreciate Darlingside. Look up their cover of Knights of Cydonia. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I will! Thanks for reminding me to listen to them!

    ReplyDelete