Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Davey Havok is an "Idiot"

Last night, I had the honor of being at Davey Havok's Broadway debut in American Idiot. I could get into all the reasons why I adore and respect this man so much, but that'll have to be a post for another time. Just suffice it to say that he is a real hero of mine, despite the oh-so-witty title of this post. I'd already been to see the show back in September, but when I heard Davey would be taking over a role for two weeks, I obviously had to go back.

And as if that wasn't enough to persuade me, I heard that Justin Guarini, that guy with the crazy hair from the first season of American Idol, was going to be there too.

Remember this? Solid gold.
In fairness to Justin, he really did a great job. I just wish he hadn't cut his hair, because that 'fro was pretty much the only thing I knew about him.

Seeing this picture in the Playbill was so surreal and bizarre, but awesome.
So anyway, back to the guy I really went to see. Davey was utterly fabulous. I felt like a proud mother when he made his grand entrance and started belting out the lyrics to "Saint Jimmy." (I even got super nervous, complete with butterflies in my stomach, before he came out on stage, like I was on the one who had to perform in front of all these people. There may be something wrong with me). But Davey was so into the role, and if he was nervous, no one could tell. His death scene was particularly powerful, and my mom, who came with me to the show, was blown away by his voice.

But the most rewarding moment was during the end performance of "Good Riddance." He looked like he was having the time of his life (har har har), beaming and laughing and strumming his guitar.

You can also see Justin Guarini behind Davey. I hope they become BFFs for life.

Apparently performing on Broadway has been a dream of Davey's for years, so I am blessed that I was able to see him accomplish his goal. I wish him the best of luck during the next two weeks of performances.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous!! I want to see him so bad. Thanks for the review tho, it sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant wait to see him either, I am going on the 5th ,,,

    ReplyDelete