Monday, December 17, 2012

My Favorite Albums of 2012

Well, it's already time once again to reflect on all the great music that has come out over the past year. Here are my favorites, in no particular order.


Of Monsters and Men - My Head Is An Animal: Last January, I dubbed these guys my new favorite band of the year. (This was before their album even came out in the US, because I am suuuuch a hipster). This band is totally deserving of all the attention they received, and I'm so happy that they found success here as well as Iceland.

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel: Fiona is my queen. This album is genius. Etc etc. 

The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten: I'm basically obsessed with this band and lead singer Brian Fallon these days. Every time I listen to this album, I fall a little bit more in love with it.

The Chevin - Borderland: David Letterman said it best when these British lads played on his show: "Holy crap! That's good."

Green Day - ¡Dos!: I thought American Idiot was fantastic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. That said, Green Day's take on retro-y garage rock on this album is just so damn fun. I love ¡Uno! and ¡Tre! too, but this is my favorite of the three. 

A Fine Frenzy - Pines: I have such a girl crush on singer Alison Sudol. She could put out a dubstep record and I would still buy it. Thankfully, she channeled her energies into this vibrant, nature-inspired album instead.

The Lumineers - The Lumineers: I don't mean to toot my own horn, but The Lumineers are another band that I totally discovered before they were famous. (#trendsetter) But thanks to Mumford & Sons and that Bing commercial, the rest of the world is discovering how fabulous this three-piece folk band is. I also interviewed lead singer Wesley Schultz back in April, right as the band really started to take off.

Blaqk Audio - Bright Black Heaven: I'm not usually an electronic music fan, but I'll buy anything singer Davey Havok wants to sell me.

The All-American Rejects - Kids in the Street: This band has yet to disappoint me. Right when I moved away from home to NYC, they released a mature album about growing up and figuring out who you are. Thanks for reading my mind, guys.

The Horrible Crowes - Elsie: Okay, this album actually came out last year, but I just discovered it and have listened to basically nothing else since. 

Thanks 2012, it's been real.

0 comments:

Post a Comment