Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Happy birthday, Sing the Sorrow!


Yesterday marked ten years since the release of one of the most influential albums in my life. I was just a baby freshman in high school when Sing the Sorrow came out, and I was beginning to figure out what kind of music I was really interested in. After finally switching from listening to the local pop station ("New Hampshire's #1 hit music station") in favor of rock radio, I caught the tail end of "Girl's Not Grey"and immediately fell in love. Obviously, I quickly scrounged up some hard-earned babysitting cash and bought the CD. And when I posted about the "experience" on my DeadJournal (seriously, I miss angsty 2003 so much), my AFI-loving friend immediately burnt me a mix CD of a bunch of their older stuff. And just like that, I became a devout member of the "Church of Havok."

So happy birthday, Sing the Sorrow. Thanks for being my gateway drug into the wonderful world of AFI (and rock music in general). Also for making me feel like such a 14-year-old badass. I can't thank you enough.

0 comments:

Post a Comment