Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Class of 2006

A few years ago, my pal Alison co-founded So I Made You a Mixtape, a group for us crazy people who still like to make and exchange mix CDs. Every round, you’re randomly assigned a new partner to make a mix for, based on whatever that round’s theme is. (I highly recommend joining. It’s a blast!)

Anyway, the opportunity to score new music and connect with new people is great on its own, but I also really enjoy combing through my extensive iTunes library to create the perfect playlist.  And this round’s theme was particularly awesome: favorite songs from your senior year of high school. For me, that was late 2005 through 2006, and I have plenty of poignant musical memories: Getting my first iPod (and it was so cool because it actually played videos!). My friend passing me an album by some unknown pop-punk band called Paramore. Singing “SOS” by Rihanna at the top of our lungs on graduation night. Making fun of James Blunt and Daniel Powter for hours on end with my photography class. Blasting The All-American Rejects in my car on a summer day (oh wait, I still do that…).

Needless to say, I had a tough time narrowing down the choices. So for my blog, I made a special extended version. In the end, I tried to come up with a combination of my favorite songs that came out that year and the pop music I remember hearing on the radio.

(Side note: I still shudder slightly when I hear the intro to “Chasing Cars” because one of my best friends made me listen to it EVERY SINGLE TIME it was on the radio. In late 2006, it was basically guaranteed that at least one station would be playing it at any given moment. I am only very recently able to stomach Snow Patrol again).

I’m sure I missed tons of fantastic material, but here it is. Enjoy!


Track list:
1. "Prelude 12/21" - AFI
2. "The Fallen" - Franz Ferdinand
3. "Dani California" - Red Hot Chili Pppers
4. "Unwritten" - Natasha Bedingfield
5. "Graduation Day" - Head Automatica
6. "Leave Like A Ghost (Drive Away)" - The Juliana Theory
7. "For You I Will (Confidence)" - Teddy Geiger
8. "We Intertwined" - The Hush Sound
9. "Move Along" - The All-American Rejects
10. "Casey's Song" - City and Colour
11. "Dog Problems" - The Format
12. "Chasing Cars" - Snow Patrol
13. "Soul Meets Body" - Death Cab For Cutie
14. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley
15. "Snakes On A Plane (Bring It)" - Cobra Starship
16. "Living For The Weekend" - Hard-Fi
17. "Walk Away" - Kelly Clarkson
18. "You Owe Me An IOU" - Hot Hot Heat
19. "Sugar, We're Going Down" - Fall Out Boy
20. "Taxi Driver" - Gym Class Heroes
21. "Get Him Back" - Fiona Apple
22. "The Gift" - Angels and Airwaves
23. "A Certain Romance" - Arctic Monkeys

0 comments:

Post a Comment