Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Album Review: The Hurry and the Harm - City and Colour


I wrote before about slowing down and getting acquainted with an album before passing judgment on it. The Hurry and the Harm by City and Colour came out in June, but I'm just posting about it now. And you know, if I had posted after hearing it once or twice, I would have written something like this: "This album is pretty good. It's not as great as some of the other albums, but overall, this is solid."

But instead, I waited and as a result, I'm declaring that this album is magical. Every time I listen to it, I fall a little more in love. In fact, I was doing something else while it played in the background, and I thought "I need to blog about the greatness of this record RIGHT NOW." So here I am.

This is such a versatile collection of songs. They sound great on a hot summer afternoon, or on a gloomy, rainy day, or even on a chilly fall-like evening (yes, we've been having some of those here in NYC lately). Musically, they fit the standard City and Colour mold: beautiful melodies mixed with dark, poetic lyrics. It's pretty safe to assume that if you liked the other records, you will like this one. As for me, I can't make any claims yet over where The Hurry and the Harm stands in comparison to his previous work, but I do know that I'm a huge fan of this one.

Highlights: "Ladies and Gentleman," "Death's Song," and especially "Two Coins."

0 comments:

Post a Comment